Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If requesting help, make sure to mention what game you are attempting to use ACT with.
For the best FFXIV support, join Ravahn's Discord Server. Also check out OverlayPlugin's FFXIV FAQ and Setup Guide.

ACT Unable to connect to remote server

After installing ACT, I am given the following error message. I have made sure that ACT is allowed through Antivirus/Windows Defender. Any other advice for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• That looks like the main program version check.  All that really does is check with a simple URL.  There's not a lot of complication there.

I imagine the same thing happens if you check for updates in the About tab or click the Get Plugins... button in the Plugins tab?

• Yep, so any plugin installations have to be done manually. It's not the most severe problem in the world, but I'd like to know *why* its happening.

• I've been thinking about this and I still can't come up with a better answer than it's a firewall issue.  Your browser can connect, so it's not a routing or DNS issue.  If ACT could connect but something bad happened, it would be a different message.

But the fact that you're using FFXIV without issue suggests that the firewall isn't blocking that much.  The only thing I could think of to explain it is if you were using WinPcap mode parsing which bypasses the firewall, in which case ACT using normal methods could still be blocked.