Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If requesting help, make sure to mention what game you are attempting to use ACT with.
For the best FFXIV support, join Ravahn's Discord Server. Also check out OverlayPlugin's FFXIV FAQ and Setup Guide.

Error: Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created

edited February 2020 in General ACT Discussion

After allowing ACT to update when opening it this morning, I'm now getting a fatal error. Presently I only use ACT for FFXIV.

---------------------------
Fatal Error - Unhandled Exception
An unhandled exception has occurred. ACT may close.
Press Ctrl-C to copy this MessageBox.
System.InvalidOperationException - Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.FormActMain.NotificationAdd(String TitleText, String MessageText, EventHandler ShowCallback, Object SenderObject)
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.TraySlider.ShowTraySlider(String Message, String Title)
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.FormActMain.LoadNewSettings(XmlTextReader xReader)
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.FormActMain.InitACT()
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.ActLoader..ctor(String[] args)
at Advanced_Combat_Tracker.ActLoader.Main(String[] args)
System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
OK

It may be worth noting that, when I could get ACT to run previously, I had some warnings about "unknown assemblies in ACT's folder" that it wants me to move elsewhere, but they hasn't caused problems in the past being where they are and really I have no idea where else I should put them and what it will break if I do so I've left them where they are. The files are:

d3dcompiler_43.dll
d3dcompiler_47.dll
HtmlRenderer.dll
libcef.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
Newtonsoft.Json.dll
OverlayPlugin.Common.dll
OverlayPlugin.Core.dll
OverlayPlugin.dll
widevinecdmadapter.dll
Xilium.CefGlue.dll

Tagged:

Comments

• edited February 2020

These are separate issues.

The first one is interesting since I've never seen it before.  It sounds like a race condition that might only happen for some people.  It sounds difficult to be so far into the startup and not have the main ACT window be created.  I tried forcing this code path and it didn't cause an error for me.  Regardless, I'll protect this code-path in future versions.

FYI, the code-path that this follows happens when the configuration file has an error in it and it's trying to mention it to you.  Maybe try replacing your config with a backup in %APPDATA%\Advanced Combat Tracker\Config\Backup.

The second issue may cause issues down the line.  You may as well try to fix it.

For example, let's say that you enable a new version of ngld's OverlayPlugin using the Get Plugins window.  It will put the files in %APPDATA% instead of in ACT's folder.  But the plugin will fail to load because Newtonsoft.Json.dll, OverlayPlugin.Common.dll, etc are old versions and in ACT's default search path.  Even though OverlayPlugin came with new versions of these files, ACT will not use them because it found copies in ACT's folder first and will ignore the newer versions in %APPDATA%.  Some of the other files look like old files for Triggernometry which no longer includes these files separately.

How to best handle this really depends on which plugins you currently use and what version they are.