Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If requesting help, make sure to mention what game you are attempting to use ACT with.
For the best FFXIV support, join Ravahn's Discord Server. Also check out OverlayPlugin's FFXIV FAQ and Setup Guide.

[RESOLVED] Issues setting up exporting to remote MySQL server

edited September 2020 in General ACT Discussion
I have mysql 5.6 running in a remote docker container, I've verified I can connect to it with a sql client, but I tried to configure the connection string like so

DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};SERVER=[lan IP];PORT=3306;DATABASE=myDatabase; USER=[redacted];PASSWORD=[redacted];OPTION=3;

I get the following error

ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

How do I resolve this? Google suggests I need to dig into windows and do a bunch of stuff in ODBC, I tried doing that but it refuses to connect to my sql server. Do I really need to do that?

EDIT: Figured it out

2 things need to happen.

1, the "SQL server" driver that microsoft ships with Windows 10 is only for their SQL Server they maintain, which isn't compatible with MySQL in the slightest.

You need to download the ODBC driver for mysql. The latest one as of this time of writing is compatible with 8.0, 5.6 and 5.7 https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

After that, modify the connection string so it reads like so

DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver};SERVER=[lan IP];PORT=3306;DATABASE=myDatabase; USER=[redacted];PASSWORD=[redacted];OPTION=3;

You can verify the driver name in the 64bit ODBC data source manager in Windows.
Tagged: