Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If requesting help, make sure to mention what game you are attempting to use ACT with.
For the best FFXIV support, join Ravahn's Discord Server. Also check out OverlayPlugin's FFXIV FAQ and Setup Guide.

Trigger timers running twice

edited December 2021 in General ACT Discussion
I'm having an issue with trigger timers running twice.

I have a macro that casts a spell then says "Casted Mana tap" in chat.
The timers name is "Manatap" and it's 25 seconds.

If I run the macro without a target so the spell doesn't cast and just says in chat, the timer window shows "Manatap"

If I run the macro with a target the timer window shows "Manatap - redned" and "Manatap - none"

Search of the log files for "Mana tap" only finds results of:
(1636162958)[Fri Nov  5 21:42:38 2021] You tell hiburp (1), "Casted Mana tap"
(1636162962)[Fri Nov  5 21:42:42 2021] You tell hiburp (1), "Casted Mana tap"
(1636163475)[Fri Nov  5 21:51:15 2021] You tell hiburp (1), "Casted Mana tap"

I've triple verified I only have 1 trigger and 1 timer and search the xml config file.
I have the same problem with another install of ACT with different log files.
Not all of my timers do this. It semms to be just the newer ones I've created.

Act version 3.5.0 Release 273

Trigger:
<Trigger R="Casted Mana tap" SD="" ST="0" CR="F" C="Spells" T="T" TN="Manatap" Ta="F" />

Timer:
<Spell N="Manatap" T="25" OM="F" R="T" A="F" WV="0" RD="F" M="F" Tt="" FC="-16776961" RV="-1" C=" General" RC="F" />

Tagged:

Comments

• If you casting Manatap does something like a power drain, power replenish, damage or other logged combat action...  ACT will just start the timer because the timer is named after it.  The same thing would happen if someone else near you cast it instead of you.

All Spell Timers look for logged spells named after themselves.  Custom Triggers are for when there is no combat action associated with the ability.  The spell name is "Manatap", but you searched your log for "Mana tap".  So you only found your chat instead of the combat actions that was otherwise triggering it.

The Spell Timer that says "redned" is because someone named that caused a combat action with "Manatap".  The Spell Timer that says "none" comes from the Custom Trigger.
  • So I should just create a timer and not a trigger with an associated timer?

Then creating a timer named "Casted Mana tap" should do what I want correct?

• Well, no.  A chat line is not a combat action.  Spell Timers look for combat actions that appear in the main tab treeview.  Manatap is already a spell that you are casting... the chat log is meaningless to the Spell Timer.

If you want to prevent the Spell Timer from picking up other Illusionists, either restrict it to a category and name the category after yourself... or restrict the timer to a whitelist and add yourself there.