Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If requesting help, make sure to mention what game you are attempting to use ACT with.
For the best FFXIV support, join Ravahn's Discord Server. Also check out OverlayPlugin's FFXIV FAQ and Setup Guide.

Crash shortly after launch

edited August 2022 in General ACT Discussion
Good day,

I have been using ACT for FFXIV for many months without issue. I then took a break due to burnout until today, however when I open ACT to update, it crashes soon after several update windows pop up plus an error window. I have not tried wiping settings or re-installing yet, I'm just curious if there is a fix without having to set it up again.

The .log file reveals the following unhandled exception:

Unhandled Exception in ACT
System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException - COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.
   at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IWebBrowser2.Navigate2(Object& URL, Object& flags, Object& targetFrameName, Object& postData, Object& headers)
   at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.PerformNavigate2(Object& URL, Object& flags, Object& targetFrameName, Object& postData, Object& headers)
   at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.Navigate(String urlString)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Tagged:

Comments

• While that exception is a bug in ACT r274/275 when trying to show the update window... it doesn't cause a crash itself.  If it were not closing otherwise, you would just see a partially blank update window which can still be used to update ACT.

There was some version of the FFXIV Plugin that would CTD ACT when it was offering an update and it was very common for others with this issue to say they had taken a break.  You will probably have to manually update the FFXIV Plugin, or delete it to re-download it through ACT.

You'll be able to find the plugin file at the following location: %APPDATA%\Advanced Combat Tracker\Plugins\FFXIV_ACT_Plugin.dll

• Thank you for the reply. Interestingly enough I was able to update both ACT and the plugin fine today, after having shut down and rebooted since last night. Additionally I had the game running when I had the crashing issue, but now I kept it closed.